Congo ministers attacked in Bemba trial “warning”

Source: Reuters

* Gunmen attack homes of two government ministers * Notes warned against testifying in ICC war crimes trial * Bemba’s party says plot aimed at preventing Bemba release By Joe Bavier KINSHASA, Aug 31 (Reuters) – Gunmen opened fire on the homes of two Congolese ministers in an attack aimed at scaring them off testifying against ex-rebel Jean-Pierre Bemba in his war crimes trial, one of the officials targeted said on Monday. Bemba backers dismissed the allegation as an attempt to discredit him before his trial at the International Criminal Court (ICC). The assailants fired shots at the residences of Jose Endundo, Democratic Republic of Congo’s environment minister, and Foreign Minister Alexis Thambwe-Mwamba on Sunday. No one was hurt and their houses were only slightly damanged. “They fired on the entrance gate and they left an envelope with a bullet and a message that read “Testify against Bemba and you will die”. The same thing happened to minister Thambwe-Mwamba,” Endundo told Reuters on Monday. The two ministers were members of Bemba’s Congo Liberation Movement (MLC) that fought against Kabila’s government during Congo’s 1998-2003 war. They then served as MLC ministers in a 2003-2006 transitional government before a government of President Joseph Kabila’s allies. Neither minister has been called as a witness against Bemba but both were senior MLC members. Bemba, who was arrested in Belgium in 2008, faces charges that his rebels waged a campaign of torture, rape and murder in neighbouring Central African Republic in 2002 and 2003. Bemba has denied all the charges against him and, earlier this month, the ICC ordered his conditional release pending his trial. The court’s prosecutor has appealed against the decision. The MLC, currently the largest opposition group in parliament, said the attacks were part of a plot to derail Bemba’s release rather than efforts to intimidate the ministers. “This is a crude set-up organised by the enemies of democracy, who fear a return of the leader of the opposition to the Congolese political scene,” Thomas Luhaka, the MLC’s acting secretary-general, told Reuters. Bemba lost a run-off election to Kabila in 2006 polls meant to draw a line under decades of dictatorship and a 1998-2003 war. He fled into exile following three days of fighting between remnants of his rebel movement and government soldiers in 2007. (Editing by David Lewis and Angus MacSwan)

What do you think?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s